Is Your History As Fun As Ours?

I have to admit I have never been interested in History. My husband, on the other hand, is a History buff, and loves it! Naturally because it isn’t my thing I have never really enjoyed teaching it. Until now!

Mystery of History is not your typical history curriculum. Between the fabulous content of the book, the fantastic lapbooks, and all the other extras that you can get to go along with it, there is never a boring lesson. My kids are loving history now, and we are ALL learning so much together.

Coloring the Continents

For one of our activities each of my kiddos are making their own lapbooks. We were just introduced to lapbooks last year, and they have quickly become a favorite in our house. Bright Ideas Press offers a supplement for the lapbooks, that come with easy to follow directions. All you have to do is print them out. We are taking 1 day each week during our history time to add to our lapbooks.

Adding the covers to the lapbooks

There are also activities listed with each lesson. We are doing several of those, as well. Last week, when learning about Adam naming all the animals God created, the kids made their own creation from clay and named them. They all loved this. My kids are very artsy so anything to do with arts and crafts is perfect for them. Here, are their creations:

The start of our clay creatures

Monkey’s Lion Snake

Tink’s Rhino Giraffe

Froggy’s Whale Shark

The Artist’s Scorpitron

I have a surprise up my sleeve for these week’s lessons. I am hoping I can pull it off. We are studying Dinosaurs the day before we leave on a trip. We will be VERY close to Glen Rose, TX, and it is loaded with fun things to do all centered around our big extinct friends. :)

So is your history as fun as ours? If not be sure to visit Bright Ideas Press!

*This post contains affiliate links*

Share and Enjoy

• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Pinterest
  • Google Plus
  • Add to favorites

About Heather

I am a wife of 12 years to my best friend, mom to 5 incredible little ones, and a daughter of the King! Join me on my journey as I strive to serve the Lord with all my heart and live my life to the fullest!

10 Responses to Is Your History As Fun As Ours?

1. Christy August 23, 2012 at 7:38 am #

I love this – I’ll have to look into this for next year – what fun!!!

2. aurie August 23, 2012 at 11:50 am #

I love this idea!! I’ve been using WonderMaps from Bright Ideas Press, but haven’t looked into this yet. I believe I will now….

• Heather August 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

We use WonderMaps and love it! So far I haven’t used anything I don’t like from BIP. We are using their composers curriculum (not full time but here and there to supplement) It is a great one as well!

• Joy December 14, 2012 at 7:05 am #

I feel the same way! Everything I have used from BIP has been amazing!

3. Sarah @ My Joy-Filled Life August 25, 2012 at 8:36 am #

We are starting school late this year and I can’t wait to get started. We are using MOH for the first time and it is one of the things I’m really looking forward to.

4. sara August 27, 2012 at 4:05 am #

Wow, your history is definitely better than ours. My boys are much older but I think the lap-books and hands-on activities would be right up their ally.

I used to hate history too but then I started reading biographies and living history books and have grown to like it.

@Sarah I’ve heard a lot of great things about MOH.

5. Opal Stevens August 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Lapbooks are SO awesome!

6. Cindy December 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

We’re just starting Mystery of History, but already enjoying it! I’m excited to take some time to look through your MOH posts! Stopping by from the TOS blog linky,

izziemacandme.blogspot,com

7. Joy December 14, 2012 at 7:07 am #

I have always loved history, but could never find a curriculum that had fun and interesting lessons or activities. That is until I found MOH from BIP. Now, my kids and I love studying history and learning together! Thanks for linking up!

• Heather December 14, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Thanks for having the link up. Can’t wait to see others posts :)